Monday, March 4, 2013

Writer's Conferences Part 3

You can see posts 1 &2 here...

No one can deny the perks of attending a writer's conference in person. The encouragement you get is just what you need to keep going, the uplifting atmosphere is fantasatic, and let's face it--nothing can beat an in-person connection. However, if you're still waiting for the wish of a writer's conference to come true, here are a few last tips to keep writing until then!

*Conference CD's: Many big conferences offer their sessions on CD. It's not quite the same as being there live, but you can learn a lot from the CD's.

*Critique Groups: The benefits of getting feedback on your work or priceless. Finding the right group can be hard, but when you find it, don't let it go! I am infinitely grateful for my crit partners.

*Local Writer's Groups: If you can find a group of local writers to meet with then you won't be sorry. Check with your library if you're not sure where to start. They can often point you in the right direction. I found my local group just by browsing the shelves at Barnes and Noble. I found a book by an author in my area, looked up her website, sent her a message through the site, and the rest is history!

I hope some of my tips will help someone get an idea they hadn't had before. I don't think there are very many writers who never want to attend a conference, but until that can become your reality, don't give up! Keep writing, and happy contracts for all.

How about you? Share your favorite conference experiences with us!

12 comments:

  1. I attended RWA National in 2008 and loved it. It was so scary and I learned so much. Got star struck many times.

    I just booked to attend RWA National for this year and am excited and scared again. Can't wait to attend some craft seminars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound exciting, Angelia. Hope you have fun! (I'm sure you will)

      Delete
  2. I love writing conferences because I always learn at least one new tip I didn't already know, and 1 new contact. I have belonged to a critique group for 4 years now and am joining my first face to face writing group tonight (other than a group through the SCBWI). I love talking about writing so all of these are more than worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love meeting with my "in person" group. It's not a critique group, but we get together and discuss all things writing. It's a highlight of my month!

      Delete
  3. I had no idea some offer conferences on CD. That's kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, Kelly, and the ones I'm listening to now are so incredibly helpful!

      Delete
  4. I haven't attended any conference and isn't in any local writers' support group, but I've been keeping an eye out for critique groups for my MG novel. Signed up Critique Cafe last year but haven't found a suitable group yet. Will keep on, like you said, Katie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your search Claudine!

      Delete
  5. That's really cool that conferences are offered on CD--I had no idea! Totally second the library groups and critique groups, they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely great, Meradeth. I've enjoyed my groups so much. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. The closest I have come to a conference was last year's SCBWI Encore and it was awesome. I'm looking forward to it again this year. I agree, crit groups - online and in person are invaluable!

    ReplyDelete