Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My "How I Got My Agent" Story

Okay, so I'm REALLY late with this post. I've been an agented writer for about five months now. Better late than never?

My interest in my agent started months before I ever queried him. I had begun querying for a different novel, and I kept going back to his website. I was on a listserv that he was on, and he was always so kind and helpful when folks had questions. Not only that, but the authors he represented also seemed kind and helpful. And most importantly (who am I fooling, right?), he was selling books.

I didn't query him, though. I was sure he wouldn't be interested in that book. So I held off on subbing to him and started working on a new book. I never found an agent for that first book.

When my new book was ready I knew right away it was a manuscript this agent would be interested in. It seemed to fit with his other authors. I fired off a query and proposal. In fact, his was the first query I sent for that novel. It wasn't long before he requested the full. Then a few weeks passed. I got other full requests.

After three weeks I wasn't expecting much. Then, the email came! He wanted to offer representation! I wanted to be ecstatic! I wanted to jump for joy! The problem was that I literally read the email as I was walking out the door to take my 6yo to the hospital where she would be admitted for 5-7 days. Not exactly the most happy atmosphere.

I emailed Terry and asked for "some time", which he graciously granted. I needed to get my ducks in a row (or take care of my business, as they say!). By the next day, though, I was ready to give my answer. I said "YES!".

Then a funny thing happened. I got a full request from a publisher for that first novel I was querying. I held off on sending it so I could talk to Terry about it. I asked him if he was also interested in representing that novel (and held my breath because I was sure he would say no--remember, I hadn't queried him with it because I was sure he wouldn't want it). He took a look at the material and said yes! I was overjoyed.

So, there you have it. That is how I got my agent.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your inspiring story, Katie, and congrats again on all your well-deserved progress. I hope you and your agent find great success working together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to hear how others do it. We all know how hard it is to just "keep writing" when it seems that no one wants to read it. But all we can do is "keep writing". Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anne and Rick! And you're absolutely right, Rick. We have to keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like a good match, KatieC. Five months is but a skip and a jump in publishing. I'm glad you put your story out there.(here^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you're right about that, Mirka! Thanks for stopping by :).

      Delete
  6. That is thrilling, Katie. I'm just revising, revising, revising, hoping that one day I'll be one of those lucky authors with a "Yes" in my inbox rather than the ubiquitous "no."

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on securing an agent, Katie! I know you've worked hard at sending queries and waiting. Totally worth the wait, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these stories! I know the behind the scenes of this thanks to our critique group. I knew you'd get an agent. Remember when you were getting really down about querying? I knew that's when it was going to happen. It worked the same way for me. :) So proud of you Katie. You deserve all the success in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love "how I got my agent" stories. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Marcia! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. I love these kinds of stories! Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete