More Than Conquerors

I’ve come to accept that sadness, confusion, anger, and depression will be making regular appearances in my life. Grief—especially the grief over your child—will not fade. When I consider how it might be different to lose a child versus losing someone else I love, I cannot honestly compare. To date, I haven’t lost another loved one. However, I do know that even over a year and a half later I still wake up every day hoping that THIS will be the day I get to see Emma again. I don’t ever pine for “an hour to visit” with Emma, as I hear others mentioning. I do not want visits with Emma. I want Emma, and if that means I am in Heaven, so be it.



A struggle, as I said.

But this week, after a grueling bout of sadness and frustration the last few weeks, I had a revelation. I do not have to live here. I do not have to resign myself to depression for all of my days. Yes, I will always struggle with missing Emma tremendously. But I don’t have to give in and just be depressed.
The Bible tells us we’re more than conquerors through Jesus. The Bible tells us God intends for us to live at peace, with a sound mind, and joyfully. It doesn’t say that only people who aren’t grieving get these promises. We know that all of God’s children can have these blessings.

Today, I’m choosing to claim these promises. I don’t have to stay sad all the time. I don’t have to resign myself to a life devoid of much happiness. Will I always miss Emma? Yes. Will this always make me sad? Yes. But God does not intend for me to let it overtake me, and in fact he makes a way for his children to overcome this great sadness.

You may be wondering how I plan to accomplish this great feat. It’s not a mysterious formula. It’s as simple as MORE Bible reading. MORE prayer. MORE memorization of God’s promises in Scripture. But that’s WORK! Yes, it is. It is work that will bring blessed peace, as has been promised. I am confident I can accomplish this, because I already know we are more than conquerors through Jesus.


*What are you struggling with today? I hope you’ll share, and I hope you’ll also take these steps to peace through Jesus.*

Comments

Popular Posts